Product, Design/uX, & Innovation Executive
I've spent my career in a variety of product roles including product management, innovation, ux, & portfolio management, but the one thing they have all had in common is a strong focus on creating human-centered strategies focused on helping people have better & more fulfilling lives & then delivering on those strategies with physical products, digital products, environments & services. The backbone behind it all has always been the utilization of design/innovation methods.
What I believe:
The qualitative self. In an age of AI, Big Data, and Everywhere computing, it is more important than ever that businesses move beyond focusing on providing products & services to people, but instead, focus on providing the "right" products & services for people. That will require nothing short of a focus on the confluence of values in our global world & ensuring we that we focus on providing the best quality of experiences for humans. Quality begins with values & we'll need to learn how to harmonize with the best of those values (the virtuous of the lot) to the best of our ability.
- Research for inspiration, not truth. Research has become overly focused on truth, finding the perfect product or solution that meets the perfectly understood needs & requirements of the customer. The reality is that life is contextual & striving for perfection is a fallacy. Instead, research should inspire the best in us by showing us the creative potential in the world & the realm of possibility. Perfect research plans with perfect research samples are completely irrelevant & a complete waste of time.
- The earlier, the better. Design should happen as early as possible in the strategic planning process of a business. Design your strategy & test it early with customers before you're bought into it, & then they will be.
- Great ideas require great execution. Innovation is being able to manage the degradation of a great idea. Regardless of what you've dreamed, that dream will transform from ideal to real through compromise & challenges. To ensure that the real is as close as possible to the ideal, you must have a great process with great governance and great people. Every time.
- Your only as good as your worst team. Achieving great results requires great partnerships between teams in a corporation. The destiny of silos is to be burnt down.
- Iterate & participate with the market. Ideas are meant to be shared. The messier, the better. Get them out there with customers, ask them for feedback, & ask them to design it better.
- Demystify design. Design has become an overly complicated web of buzzwords, consulting methodologies, various job titles, & endless advice on the most minute of things. Design is not rocket science. It's time we stop treating it that way & provide clarity to the market.
- Democratize design. Design is like writing. It's a skill that anyone can master & everyone should. We need to help everyone be a better designer.
2018: What is Human-centered Design? - Chief Customer Officer Conference
2018: Panel on dealing with 21st Century Customers - Chief Customer Officer Conference
2014 When EMA met Watson (How Watson and Modernizing Medicine are Transforming Healthcare) - Watson Innovation Day
2011 Harmonious Healthcare - World Usability Day UPA
2011 Introduction to Design Thinking - Smart Healthcare World Asia
2011 Innovation in Healthcare Panel - Smart Healthcare World Asia
2011 People are the Product - Healthcare Experience Design